Thursday, October 25, 2012

World’s Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Perfect Pairing: Ready-to-go freezer cookies
IMG_1497-001

Why yes, I did make up the name of this recipe! 
In my house, no other attempt is made at improving the oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, because we have the best right here.
I have mentioned my love of the show, Friends, on this blog.  One of my all-time favorite episodes is the one with Phoebe’s cookies.  Monica was dying to know Phoebe’s grandma’s secret recipe for chocolate chip cookies.  Apparently it made the best chocolate chip cookies in the world.  Monica made many attempts to recreate the recipe, with no luck.  Of course hilarity ensued when she got to the bottom of the story.  I could try to retell the story, but you might as well just watch it.  Never gets old.
Funny enough, this recipe was actually passed down from my great grandma Lucy.  I’m not kidding when I say it is the best.  The cookies always turn out chewy on the inside and slightly crisp around the outside.  My mom has been making them for us our entire lives.  I am 99% certain that is what we are eating in the picture below.  I never thought I would go topless on this blog….
You can also vary the cookies by adding coconut, butterscotch chips, or walnuts.  Personally, I prefer the old standard, oatmeal and chocolate chip.
IMG_1534-001

The Perfect Pairing for this fantastic recipe is to freeze the leftover dough in ready-to-go cookies.  The recipe makes a big batch of cookie dough so there is always some leftover for the freezer and it freezes really well.  If you are feeling super organized you can scoop out perfect portions with your spring-loaded scoop, layer them between waxed paper, and freeze.  If you want just one cookie (yeah, right) you can pull it out and bake one off in the oven, or even in the microwave. 

World’s Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted by Lindsay at Perfecting the Pairing from Great Grandma Lucy Wentworth

Ingredients:
·         ½ cup butter, softened
·         ½ cup Crisco
·         1 cup brown sugar
·         1 cup sugar
·         2 eggs
·         1 tsp vanilla
·         2 cups flour
·         1 tsp baking soda
·         1 tsp baking powder
·         ¾ tsp salt
·         2 cups quick oats
·         6 oz package chocolate chips*
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, or 325 degrees F on convect. 
In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the butter, Crisco, brown sugar, and sugar until smooth.  Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.  In a separate bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Add the flour mixture to the bowl in batches, mixing between each one until fully combined.  Add the oats and chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
Scoop the cookies on cookie sheets lined with silicone mats or sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 for 11-12 minutes, or on convect for 10 minutes.  Cookies should still be soft in the center and just set around the outside.
*Replace the chocolate chips with walnuts, coconut, or butterscotch for a varied recipe

7 comments:

  1. Lindsay, thanks for posting Great Grandma's recipe! I am making them tonight for a ladies craft night. I haven't had them since Grandma Millie made them. I have a feeling I will be making them all the time! Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marissa! I am so happy to pass the recipe along. They really are the best. I am sure they will be making an appearance at our Christmas gathering. Take care!

      Delete
  2. Can I use all butter? I want to make cookies now and I don't have Crisco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ericka, sorry for the delay! I have not tried these with all butter, but I assume it would work. I think the crisco makes them soft. Let me know! I would be curious to find out.

      Delete
  3. I have been trying random cookie recipes from Pinterest this summer (my littles LOVE to help bake...and help eat!) and haven't hit on anything spectacular. Until these!!!! Wow! Made them tonight after dinner....kids went crazy for them, and my husband who doesn't even LIKE sweets....ate 4!! I love it too....they are the perfect blend of crunch and chewy. I used milk chocolate chips. Also the presentation of them is very nice. They look like your photo! Thanks again for putting so much work into a website I trust for great recipes and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best recipe I have found in a long time. Thank you so much. I hope you don't mind that I shared your recipe on my blog. I linked my page to your site. I have friends that just love your recipes including me. Thanks again. Love, Love these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you loved them! They are definitely a favorite in my family!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...